Yes, this is about more fire hose. I find it to be a really versatile material to work with. It works as straps, it works as a flat tube, it keeps its shape, it holds weight, and it can keep these properties as we cut it up. In the way that a pig can become ham, bacon, baby back ribs, and Spiderpig, fire hose can become anything we need it to be.
What I really like is that because of all its unique properties I can use to to make things without fasteners. If you notice in all my fire hose posts so far there's no zip ties, no nuts and bolts, no screws, no tape, nothing to worry about failing and falling off and being ingested by the very animals we're trying to take care of.
Here's a wake board that I was tasked with hanging up for some lemurs that I really didn't want to have to drill into, so I turned to my old friend.
Here's a detail of the right side showing how I simply slit the sides of the hose. You can also see my Sharpie mark that I measured by simply laying the board over the fire hose strips where I wanted them to hang. The ends of the wake board were narrower than the middle, so the lengths I cut out are different to accommodate.
That actually worked out well with the way I decided to mount the thing with ropes. I slit a hole near the free ends of the hose and strung a single rope through each side. This way the rope is pulling the two strips of hose toward the center of the wake board's length where it's wider and thus keeping everything really taught.
However there's no reason the fire hose straps couldn't have been the hanging straps themselves. I used a wake board, but full length straps would be better for mounting long wooden planks or logs without worrying about carrying capacity. The only thing limiting the weight the hose could carry would be the ceiling falling down. If there was any concern about the straps slipping off the perches you could easily affix them with a washer and screw (gasp!) through the bottom layer fire hose so that the animals using the furniture would never contact any hardware at all.




No comments:
Post a Comment