Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ugly Fire Hose Ball



Here's my first attempt at a fire hose ball using the tab and slot technique to join the pieces. It's pretty wonky looking but there's some good bones in there. Think of the construction as two "U's" joined by tabs. Normally a pill-shaped fire hose ball like this would be made of six pieces of hose with nuts and bolts to hold it all together. Again that's more weight and cost with the additional problem of trying to hide those metal bits behind layers of hose so your animals aren't hurting themselves on the hardware.




If I were to do it again I would use more and narrower tabs and make sure that they're closer to the corners to give the ball more definition. As it is it's still very light and springs back to shape remarkably well after being squashed. While I wouldn't worry about any elephants stamping on it and hurting their feet I don't think this type of construction would be strong enough for big cats. Probably a hoofstock only toy for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment